Monday, November 17, 2008

Less Money, More Problems

So I have hesitated to blog about this, simply because I didn't want to seem like I'm complaining or hinting for help. (I'm not!) But this is the deal: I have been in Graz nearly two months and I have yet to get paid. I'm living off credit cards, racking up debt and finance charges daily. At the same time, I'm working my ass off, teaching two classes and taking another. I don't even understand what is going on to be honest. The paperwork and contract i signed weeks ago seems to get passed from one persom to the next, but never gets handed to anyone who can actually do anything about it. The most infuriating part is that I was told that the money had been deposited on a specific date and that it would show up in 3-5 business days. That was last Friday, and now they are saying "oops, hopefully it will come next week! Sorry!" At the point I have two equally unappealing options: 1) I go home and miss out on an opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience and learn a new language. I will also have to pay two months rent and risk losing a hefty security deposit. 2) I stay and keep eating bread, asking for extensions on my rent, racking up debt, and working for no compensation. No matter what I decide, I lose.

Hey, at least I have health insurance. Or at least I think I do.

2 comments:

loren said...

Whoa. That's crazy. Is that typical over there?

Markus said...

Yeah that is typical, in fact many people don't get paid for working in Austria. Sometimes we get compensations, fruit and bread, though *lol*

no I`m just kidding. I feel sorry for Martha, I think this was just bad luck, bureaucracy can be pretty bad in Austria, and I guess that was the problem, sometimes things take ages. I've never had problem getting paid for jobs there in time, though.

But I have to admit here in the US "customer service" is way better than in Austria, when it comes to bureaucracy and stuff.. but I had to do unbelievable amounts of paperwork here, too.

well I 'm glad you finally got your money now, Martha :-)

are we gonna see some photos of your new home here?

Markus